Actions bishops can take
Bishops have a key role to play in ensuring creation care is an integral part of the mission, life and witness of the Church. You might choose to:
• Promote the Communion Forest initiative in your diocese.
• Include tree growing to celebrate occasions and services, for example birthdays, marriages, births, baptisms and confirmations. Give confirmation candidates a seedling or sapling to plant and care for as a symbol of their spiritual growth.
• Use your voice and influence to protect and restore forests and other ecosystems.
• Set aside a plot of land to grow appropriate indigenous seedlings so that the diocese and community have a source of inexpensive tree saplings.
• Engage with young people. They are often severely affected by climate anxiety and already taking action. Encourage them, amplify their voices, involve them in Communion Forest activities and help them to connect their environmental activism with their faith.
• Use the Season of Creation as a special period for promoting this initiative and creation care.